This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
GRAFTON AND RADCOT SU2899-2999 11/50 Radcot Bridge House - II
Shown on O.S. map as Radcot Bridge Farm.
Farmhouse, now house. Mid-C17 extended 1726 (datestone) and C19. Uncoursed limestone rubble; stone slate roofs. L-plan comprising main range of 2-cell central baffle-entry plan with short rear range to right; main range extended by one room to left in 1726 and rear range extended in C19. 2 storeys and gable-lit attic. 3 windows on each floor, those to first floor directly below eaves, lower left with wood lintel, centre and right with C17 dripstones; all early C19 three-light leaded casements, except for plain mid-C19 casement to lower left.
Nail-studded plank door under C20 gabled porch between centre and right windows with faint suggestion of infilled doorway immediately to right. Chamfered narrow rectangular opening to attic to right gable end and 2 infilled windows on first floor. C20 brown brick ridge stacks with earlier dripstones immediately to right of entrance and at junction with 1726 addition (formerly an end stack). C18 addition has integral end stack with dripstone and capping, heightened in brown brick. C17 part of rear range has moulded rectangular window to ground floor with wood casement and iron bars to outside. Full-length catslide outshut to rear range in angle to rear. Interior. Left ground-floor room with date "1726" inscribed in jamb of doorway to back wall has chamfered spine beam with flat joists and stone inglenook fireplace with slightly cambered head. Nail-studded plank door with cambered head. Nail-studded plank door with strap hinges to above-mentioned doorway. Centre room has stone-flag floor, chamfered spine beam and inglenook fireplace with wood lintel. Splayed window to back wall now opening into outshut. Right room has reused richly moulded ceiling beam with chamfer stops and sawn-off ends of cross and ring beams, probably removed before being brought to its present location. Inglenook fireplace with chamfered jambs and chamfered wood lintel has panelled door to right with H-hinges formerly leading to winder staircase. Chamfered cross beams on first floor, now mainly boxed. C19 addition to rear range is said to haye been former coach house. There are extensive earthworks, known as The Garrison, in the field to the south.
Listing NGR: SU2849599658
This is part of the Series: IOE01/1503 IOE Records taken by Malcolm Osman; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Mr Malcolm Osman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Osman, Malcolm
Rights Holder: Osman, Malcolm
Brick, Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Stuart Farmhouse, Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Coach House, Transport, Road Transport Site, Monument (By Form)