This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 03NE CRANLEIGH C.P. HIGH STREET (At Junction with Ewhurst Road)
Obelisk. Erected in 1794 by Dr. Jacob Ellery to commemorate the opening of the turnpike road through Cranleigh from Guildford to Horsham. Sandstone block step plinth with tooled ashlar pedestal above. Octagonal plan obelisk above, cement rendered, and rising to approx 20' high. Cast iron plates manufactured by J. Champion of Cranleigh, fixed to north and south sides, giving mileages to adjoining towns and villages.
Listing NGR: TQ0606939031
© Mr Tim Nichols. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Nichols, Tim
Rights Holder: Nichols, Tim
Ashlar, Cast Iron, Cement, Render, Sandstone, Georgian Obelisk, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament