This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CHEVIN ROAD 1.
5167 (East Side) Milford County Junior Mixed and Infants School SK 3445 5/168 II 2.
Late C18/early C19 (on Strutt survey of 1797 in outline) and later C19. Some architectural evidence that built in 2 parts to serve 2 different functions.
On sloping site with upper floor at street level on west side and arcaded ground floor at rear lower level at east side. Ground floor said to have been used for Strutt wagons, upper floor school (all now school). Coursed stone, slate roof with large cowl ventilators. Angled symmetrical building with acute centre angle containing porch on street elevation and flattened stone bow, carried through both floors, to rear. Twelve windows to street facade, paired sashes with small panes and cast iron glazing bars. Centre stone porch contains panelled door with fanlight, inner door similar. Below some of the windows are bricked up panels - formerly giving access to arcaded rear stalls? Rear facade - part of arcaded ground floor now filled in. Paired windows as on street elevation and window in bowed flat roofed centre bay. Sill band carried round at 1st floor level. Later extension at north end. Interior has very light iron ceiling trusses - probably of later C19. (Rear may have been removed).
Walled rear playground.
Listing NGR: SK3499445186
© Mr Edward Rokita. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rokita, Edward
Rights Holder: Rokita, Edward
Brick, Iron, Slate, Stone, Georgian Junior School, Victorian Education, Elementary School, School, Wagon Shed, Transport, Railway Transport Site, Infant School, Wall, Monument (By Form), Barrier, Childrens Playground, Recreational, Recreation Ground, Sports Site