The plan was originally prepared in September 1922 by Royal Engineers and published by the Ordnance Survey in 1923. It shows the part of the castle to the north of the church, including the defences, batteries, buildings and land use. The rooms of each building are labelled with their use and the buildings, roads and defences are named. There is a key to the utilities and other measurements (such as room heights). It is signed by the preparer and by a Colonel of the Royal Engineers. The plan appears to have been copied from a plan on waxed linen. Unlike other copies of this plan (MP/DOV0539/540) the accommodation tables in the upper central area have not copied well, and there appears to have been an additional table in this area that has also not copied. Also unlike other versions the area of the plan under the Colonels signature is not blank. It is marked in the top right corner 'For official use only'.
Copyright Crown copyright
People & Organisations
Publisher: Ordnance Survey
Creator of Archive: Royal Engineers