The Apollo Cinema viewed from the north-east

Date:
29 May 1992 - 29 Aug 1992
Location:
Apollo Cinema, Newport Road, Stafford, Staffordshire
Show all locations
Odeon Cinema, Newport Road, Stafford, Staffordshire
Astra Cinema, Newport Road, Stafford, Staffordshire
Stafford Cinema, Newport Road, Stafford, Staffordshire
Reference:
NWC01/01/3086
Type:
Photograph (35mm Slide)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The Odeon Theatre or Odeon Cinema opened in 1936. It was renamed the Astra Cinema after being taken over in 1981. In 1988 it was acquired by Apollo Cinemas, and became a bingo club and cinema. The building returned solely to operating as a cinema in 1990. In 2014 it was renamed Stafford Cinema. The cinema subsequently went through a period of openings, closures and renovation work. The building was empty in 2020.

Content

This is part of the Series: NWC01/01 Norman Walley: Series of slides; within the Collection: NWC01 Norman Walley Cinema Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Walley, Norman

Architect: Satchwell, Roland

Keywords

20th Century Cinema, Sport And Recreation