Crossness Pumping Station was constructed in the 1860s to pump and release the sewage from the three intercepting sewers south of the Thames: the High and Low Level Sewers, and the Effra Branch. The sewage was pumped into a reservoir at Crossness, and released into the Thames at high tide. The complex was originally called the Southern Outfall Works, and was officially opened on 4th April 1865.
This is part of the Collection: MBW01 Photographs of Metropolitan Board of Works projects including Crossness
Source: Historic England Archive
Victorian Engine House, Victorian Sewage Pumping Station