The cross-head was discovered in 1891 when the foundations of the Norman chapter house were dug up. It is now housed in the Monks' Dormitory, Durham cathedral. The reverse side of OP06428. A narrow edge is shown in OP06423. In the centre is a Cruxificion scene. Below the cross arms are two three-quarter length frontal figures both of which have haloes and hold books.
On the lower arm are the figures of a bird and a man.
Received from Victoria County History, 1945.
Source: Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Victoria County History
Medieval Cross, Medieval Cathedral, Medieval Anglican Cathedral