Mr and Mrs Cavendish standing in front of the west garden front of Swallowcliffe Manor, photographed after major alterations were made to the house in c1905, including the addition of the new north wing forming the left half of the building

Date:
1905 - 1910
Location:
Swallowcliffe Manor, Swallowcliffe, Wiltshire
Reference:
OP06618
Type:
Photograph (Albumen Print)
Placeholder image

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The house was built in the mid-17th century and was originally on a 'T' plan, with the alterations of c1905 adding a wing to the north, seen here as the range to the left of the large original three-storey gable. The photograph was taken by a Mr C B Willcocks of the architectural firm Willcocks and Greenaway, and it is part of a series of images of the manor house. It is likely therefore, that Willcocks & Greenaway were the architects behind the Cavendish family's alterations to the house.

Content

This is part of the Series: RBO01/45 Early Photographic Print Collection: Wiltshire; within the Collection: RBO01 Early Photographic Print Collection

Rights

Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Architect: Willcocks And Greenway

Photographer: Willcocks, Conrad Birdwood

Keywords

Stuart Manor House