The Minster Church of St John at Beverley was originally founded during the eighth century, but the present structure is largely medieval with the twin west towers built between 1390 and 1420. This photograph can be dated to before 1897, as statuary was added to the canopied niches covering the west front between 1897 and 1901 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. The original medieval statuary is thought to have been removed during the reign of Edward VI.
The reverse of the print shows a National Buildings Record accession stamp, indicating that the print was accessioned to their collection on the 31st of January 1944.
Source: Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hodges, C C
Perpendicular, Niche, Panelling, Medieval Minster, Medieval Church