A detail view of the decorative carvings surrounding the west door of Beverley Minster. The foliate and decorative carvings around the doorway are medieval, but the sculpted figures to the right of frame were installed between 1897 and 1901.

Date:
1897 - 1920
Location:
Minster Church of St John, Minster Yard, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire
Reference:
OP09093
Type:
Photograph (Print)
Placeholder image

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The Minster Church of St John at Beverley was originally founded during the eighth century, but the present structure is largely medieval with the twin west towers built between 1390 and 1420 and statuary re-installed on the west front between 1897 and 1901 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. The original medieval statuary is thought to have been removed during the reign of Edward VI.

Content

This is part of the Series: RBO01/20 Early Photographic Print Collection: Humberside; within the Collection: RBO01 Early Photographic Print Collection

Rights

Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Goulding, Charles

Keywords

Perpendicular, Doorway, Moulding, Sculpture, Medieval Minster, Medieval Church