The hospital is not a medical establishment; the word 'hospital' is used with its original meaning, that of housing for the needy, infirm or aged. It was originally built by the Guild of St George in and the Holy Trinity in the fifteenth century. It was taken by Robert Dudley, Lord Leicester, in 1571 and converted into a pensioners' hospital. The West Gate is part of the medieval town defences and dates to the late-fourteenth century. It is built on the site of a town gate dating from at least 1129.
Source: Historic England Archive