232 drawings relating to the maintenance, management and interpretation of Old Sarum Castle and Cathedral.
The earliest drawing is a copy of a nineteenth century impression of the site. From the between 1906 and 1920 there are drawings of the postern tower (later the museum), a proposed hut for the attendant, the crypt of the cathedral, a bridge across the outer ditch, a proposed deep well pump for the castle and a proposed notice board. There are also drawings relating to alterations to the roof of the museum, and a survey of the garderobe shafts and proposed railings.
From the 1920s and 30s there are a number of drawings relating to consolidation of the walls and other works to the site, as well as a plan of the cathedral and associated structures, and drawings of a grille for the well-top, the new roof covering, skylight, case and shelving for the museum, new stairs to the crypt of the cathedral, a new bridge over the castle moat, and grilles to the garderobe shafts. There is also a 1933 survey of the remains of a gateway and drawbridge.
Post-war drawings begin in the 1950s with phasing plans of the castle and cathedral, and sheets relating to reconstruction of the bridge over the moat and access to the garderobes. A survey of the custodian's hut in 1956 results in drawings of a new one in 1961.
The 1960s also produced drawings of the bridge superstructure, and proposals for toilets, the car park and an access ramp. There are plans of the castle and cathedral for publication, and a 1965 site survey.
From the 1970s, there are drawings of a grille for the well, the custodian's office and store, display panels, a ticket office and electrical services to the toilets. Also included is a survey of the ramparts and tunnel.
The most recent drawings are from the 1980s and 1990s and include sheets showing electrical services to the ticket office, the stairway to the Chapter House, a sliding sash to the ticket office window, and a base plate proposal for the footbridge. There are also reconstruction drawings of the cathedral, topographical and contour surveys from 1988 and rectified photographic elevations of the walls of the castle and cathedral from 1990.
There are also four oversized drawings showing details of the new bridge over the moat from 1933, and nine oversized drawings of site plans produced for presentation.
This Volume contains the following materials:
© Crown Copyright. Historic England Archive
© Historic England Archive
Early Medieval Cathedral, Iron Age Hillfort, Medieval Castle
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.