This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

The Architecture of Sharpe, Paley and Austin

Front cover for The Architecture of Sharpe, Paley and Austin

Hardback by Geoff Brandwood


Buy from bookshop

  • The first published account of all the work of this major architectural practice, one of the most effective and successful English practices in the 19th and early 20th centuries
  • Written in an accessible and engaging manner and extensively illustrated in colour and b&w with previously unpublished plans
  • For its sheer range of output and its quantity there was no comparable architectural practice in the country

One of England's greatest Victorian architectural practices was based, not in London, but in the relatively quiet town of Lancaster. For just over a century the leading practice in the area was that of Sharpe, Paley and Austin. It was founded, just at the start of the Victorian Gothic Revival, by the remarkable, multi-talented Edmund Sharpe - architect, engineer, businessman, politician and winner of the Royal Institute of British Architect's Royal Gold Medal for his work in architectural history.

E G Paley developed the practice and took on in 1867 the man who elevated it to greatness - Hubert Austin, described as an architect of genius by Pevsner. The firm established a national reputation, especially for its many fine churches, ranging from great urban masterpieces to delightful country ones, which are imbued with the spirit of the Arts & Crafts movement.

The practice was extraordinarily prolific and took on commissions for almost every imaginable building type - country houses, railways, schools, factories, an asylum and commercial premises in addition to the churches.

The book explores with the aid of Austin's great-grandson, not only the firm's buildings but also a fascinating web of family and professional interconnections which provide the backdrop to the story. It is richly illustrated, including family photographs never previously published. This treatment will appeal to architectural historians, students of the architecture of the Victorian and Edwardian eras and social historians.


  1. Edmund Sharpe: architect and scholar
  2. Developing the practice: Edward Graham Paley
  3. Paley & Austin, 1868-1886
  4. Paley, Austin & Paley/Austin & Paley, 1886-1915
  5. The last years of the practice: Harry Paley, 1915-1946

Additional Information

  • Printed Price: £50.00
  • Series: Architectural History
  • Publication Status: Completed
  • Format: Hardback
  • Physical Size: 276 x 219 mm
  • Pages: 296
  • Illustration: 300, Colour and b&w
  • Product Code: 51526
  • ISBN: 9781848020498


If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:

Customer Service Department

Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Fax: 01793 414926
Textphone: 0800 015 0516

Was this page helpful?

Sharpe, Paley and Austin

Please click on the gallery images to enlarge.

  • Orrell, font and the firm's trade-mark foundation stone
  • Bilsborrow, St Hilda, 1926-8
  • The Lancaster and Skerton Co-operative main store in Central Lancashire
  • Walney Island. View looking north-west from the south chapel
  • Blackburn, St Silas, 1894-8, south aisle and chapel
  • Stockport, interior shortly after opening (BL14814a English Heritage.NMR)
  • Hoghton Tower, lodge on the drive up to the house
  • Holker Hall
  • Barrow-in-Furness, tenement blocks, c 1873-4
  • Royal Albert Asylum, the entrance tower
  • Settle (NY), Music Hall, 1853
  • Bolton, St Peter, rebuilt 1867-71

Also of interest...