Formal gardens and pleasure grounds, c.4ha, mainly C19, 1856 by Mr Page; landscaped deer park, c.325ha, medieval onwards.
House 1855-58 by T H Wyatt, replacing mansion south of church, demolished, 1856. Balustraded terraces to south front, terraced lawns. Urns, vases, statuary C18 from old manor house. Remains of conservatory by Wyatt, now a rose arbour. Pleasure grounds, main grass walk, vista through yew hedge to park, winding gravel walks, groves, specimen trees, horse chestnuts, oaks, limes, beeches, conifers, evergreen shrubs. Remains of Victorian fernery, pool and rockery set in laurels. Water-course pumped under main vista to gorge. Formal Italian garden, rose pergola, within walled enclosures that are contemporary with old house. Park; lake, formed from stream. Church on island, C13, restored 1862 by Wyatt, 1879 by Sir Gilbert Scott. Romantic boathouse. Rotunda c.1760. Causewayed road from lake to lodge. Remains of avenue 350m long c.220m south of church, leading towards the Down. Scattered trees, plantations, Orchardleigh and Buckland Woods to north-west; sycamores, oaks, hornbeams, grey poplars, horse chestnuts. Wooded drive to house from Gloucester Lodge at Lullington, a pre-1816 castellated and turretted gateway; drive also passes Temple Lodge. Tudor Lodges to south, c.1825-30. Remaining parkland within farmland north of house.
Country Life, 21 Dec 1901, 808
Holme C, Gardens of England in Southern and Western Counties, 1907, pl. 98-101
Pevsner N, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958
Sales J, West Country Gardens, 1980
Trans. Anc. Mons. Soc., 27, 1983, 119