SUTTON COURTENAY MANOR
Heritage Category: Park and Garden
List Entry Number: 1001107
Date first listed: 01-Jun-1984
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1001107 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 19:10:54.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
District: Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish: Sutton Courtenay
National Grid Reference: SU 50184 94161
Modern formal and wild gardens, c.2ha, 1920s by Norah Lindsay.
House C13, C15 and C17.
Enclosed Long Garden has fountain basin, columnar yews, herbaceous borders, wall plants, remains of intricate topiary of box and yew. Enclosed formal Persian Garden with square pool, pergola, modern knot of box and berberis. Rose garden. Beech and hornbeam alley with yew portals, leading to kitchen garden. Pleasaunce or wilderness of naturalised bulbs, shrubs, trees. River Garden, walks through naturalised shrubs, trees, lawns, wild flowers in meadowland. Beech grove adjoining forecourt. Gatepiers to forecourt, mid-C17.
Area south of house, largely remodelled 1948-51 and c.1960 by Brenda Colvin, who also added wild and riverside gardens west of house. REFERENCES
Bisgrove, R, Gardens of Britain 3, 1978. Country Life, 6 Feb 1904 p198, 16 May 1931 p610. Hellyer, A, English Gardens Open to the Public, 1956. Pevsner, N, Berkshire, 1966.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 2109
Legacy System: Parks and Gardens
This garden or other land is registered under the Historic Buildings and Ancient Monuments Act 1953 within the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens by Historic England for its special historic interest.
End of official listing