- Heritage Category:
- Park and Garden
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1001175 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 00:13:01.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 24969 49732
Remains of formal gardens and pleasure grounds, c.9ha; park, 20ha, probably C16 or earlier.
Priory founded 1235, converted to house 1541, mostly rebuilt 1776-79, again in 1802, and added to 1835, 1895 by J H Pollen who joined stables of c.1670 to house.
Formal gardens set in grounds contained by retaining wall overlooking park to south and west. On south axis is a hedged enclosure, with central path, cross path, central pool. Axis terminates with steps to raised walk. Large enclosure to west bounded by paths is now tennis courts; path which formerly crossed it still extends beyond grounds to avenue in park. Wooded pleasure grounds against north and east boundaries. Monks' Walk between borders. Notable cedars, shrubberies.
Garden wall, probably C18; boundary wall on Bell Street is rebuilt. Park has avenue c.225m long through open park to west. Avenue leads to Priory Pond, formerly a fishpond. Part of park backed by woodland of c.24ha. Open park to south of house.
Survey, 1622 of Reigate Manor describes old park, of 201 acres (c.81ha) with fine timber and fish pond. Grounds are now school and playing fields.
Country Life, 6 Apr 1918, 340; 13 Apr 1918, 362; 20 Aug 1932, 224. Pevsner N, Nairn I, Cherry B, Surrey, 1971. VCH, Surrey, III, 1911, 231.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
- Parks and Gardens
This garden or other land is registered under the Historic Buildings and Ancient Monuments Act 1953 within the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens by Historic England for its special historic interest.
End of official listing