Round barrow NW of Mill Hill
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Round barrow NW of Mill Hill
List entry Number: 1002263
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: East Sussex
District Type: District Authority
National Park: SOUTH DOWNS
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 15-Jul-1966
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: ES 259
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Bowl Barrow on Front Hill, 495m NNW of Breaky Bottom Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period.
Despite part levelling by cultivation, the bowl barrow on Front Hill, 495m NNW of Breaky Bottom Farm survives as a partially upstanding and buried feature and will contain archaeological and environmental information relating to the mound and the landscape in which it was constructed.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 26 February 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a bowl barrow situated on the south-east chalk downland slope of Front Hill, overlooking Breaky Bottom, in the South Downs. It has been partly levelled by cultivation but survives as a broadly circular mound, 9m in diameter and less than 0.2m high. The mound was originally at least 0.6m high. A surrounding quarry ditch, from which material to construct the mound was derived, is not visible but will survive as a buried feature. The barrow is shown on OS maps of 1876, 1899, 1910 and 1930 (1:2500).
NMR TQ40NW38. PastScape 405963.
National Grid Reference: TQ4037105710
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002263 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2018 at 07:14:18.
End of official listing