- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002503 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 18:43:00.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Torridge (District Authority)
- Buckland Brewer
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 42713 17905
Slight univallate hillfort called Hembury Castle.
Reasons for Designation
Slight univallate hillforts are defined as enclosures of various shapes, generally between 1ha and 10ha in size, situated on or close to hilltops and defined by a single line of earthworks, the scale of which is relatively small. They date to between the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age (eighth - fifth centuries BC), the majority being used for 150 to 200 years prior to their abandonment or reconstruction. Slight univallate hillforts have generally been interpreted as stock enclosures, redistribution centres, places of refuge and permanent settlements. The earthworks generally include a rampart, narrow level berm, external ditch and counterscarp bank. Slight univallate hillforts are rare nationally, although in Devon they comprise one of the major classes of hillfort. They are important for understanding the transition between Bronze Age and Iron Age communities. Despite reduction in the height of the ramparts and disturbance to the interior through cultivation, Hembury Castle survives comparatively well and will contain important archaeological and environmental information relating to its construction, use and landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 5 November 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a slight univallate hillfort situated on a prominent hill overlooking the valleys of the River Duntz and Lydeland Water. The hillfort survives as an oval enclosure measuring 175m long by 115m wide internally and is defined by a rampart with outer ditch and counterscarp bank. Reports in 1867 suggest there was once a mound at the western end of the hillfort which was found to contain skulls and human remains of those killed during the surrender of Torrington in 1643, finds of two canon balls are also mentioned.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- DV 376
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 32912
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing