Celtic fields on Pentridge Down

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1002796

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1958

Map

Ordnance survey map of Celtic fields on Pentridge Down
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002796 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 23:08:19.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Pentridge

National Grid Reference: SU 03825 17439

Summary

Part of a late prehistoric or Romano British field system 500m south east of Manor Farm.

Reasons for Designation

Cranborne Chase is an area of chalkland well known for its high number, density and diversity of archaeological remains. These include a rare combination of Neolithic and Early Bronze Age sites, comprising one of the largest concentrations of burial monuments in England, the largest known cursus (a linear ritual monument) and a significant number and range of henge monuments (Late Neolithic ceremonial centres). Other important remains include a variety of enclosures, settlements, field systems and linear boundaries which date throughout prehistory and into the Romano-British and medieval periods. This high level of survival of archaeological remains is due largely to the later history of the Chase. Cranborne Chase formed a Royal Hunting Ground from at least Norman times, and much of the archaeological survival within the area resulted from associated laws controlling land-use which applied until 1830. The unique archaeological character of the Chase has attracted much attention over the years, notably during the later 19th century, by the pioneering work on the Chase of General Pitt-Rivers, Sir Richard Colt Hoare and Edward Cunnington, often regarded as the fathers of British archaeology. Archaeological investigations have continued throughout the 20th century and to the present day. The part of the later prehistoric or Romano British field system 500m south east of Manor Farm survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, social and territorial aspects of land apportionment, agricultural practices and overall landscape context.

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 6 January 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument includes part of a later prehistoric or Romano British field system situated on the steep north west facing slopes of a ridge on Pentridge Down. The part of the field system survives as at least three or four roughly square fields defined by strong lynchets and field banks which range in height from 1.2m up to 2.7m. The most southerly field of the group contains a barrow which is scheduled separately.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: DO 307

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:-213553

End of official listing