Three barrows near Town Hill Barn
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1002802
Date first listed: 27-Mar-1958
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002802 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 14:11:06.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: West Dorset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SY 61435 92719, SY 61469 92788, SY 61502 92468
Two bowl barrows and an enclosure 520m north east of Hogleaze Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. The two bowl barrows and enclosure 520m north east of Hogleaze Farm survive comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their construction, relative chronologies, interrelationships, function, date, territorial significance, social organisation, ritual, funerary and agricultural practices, and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 7 January 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument, which falls into three areas, includes two bowl barrows and an enclosure situated on the summit of the prominent Town Hill overlooking the dry valley of Long Bottom. The barrows survive as circular mounds surrounded by buried quarry ditches from which the construction material was derived. The mounds vary in size from 15m up to 18m in diameter and from 1.5m up to 1.8m high. One has a slightly elongated appearance and the other has a flattened top. The enclosure survives as a semi-circular bank measuring up to 1.6m high. The south eastern side has been cut by a farm yard. Possible interpretations for the enclosure have included a saucer barrow, building platform or animal pound.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: DO 316
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:-453655
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing