This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Bowl Barrow, 710m south-west of Woolcombe Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Bowl Barrow, 710m south-west of Woolcombe Farm

List entry Number: 1002809

Location

Powerstock, Bridport, Dorset

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Powerstock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 30-May-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Aug-2017

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: DO 346

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Bowl barrow, of probable Bronze Age date.

Reasons for Designation

The prehistoric Bowl Barrow 710m south-west of Woolcombe Farm is scheduled for the following principal reasons:

* Degree of survival: as a well-preserved earthwork representing the diversity of burial practices, beliefs and social organisation amongst early prehistoric communities; * Potential: for the stratified archaeological deposits which will retain information on the individuals buried within and, as part of a wider multi-period landscape, it will also contribute to our understanding of the continuity and change in the use of this landscape since the Bronze Age; * Group value: it is located in an area that has a dense concentration of monuments and it has a strong spatial relationship with other scheduled monuments including further burial mounds, an Iron Age hillfort and prehistoric or Iron Age field systems.

History

The treatment, burial and commemoration of the dead have been a distinctive part of human life for millennia, and these activities have often left physical remains. The remains of the dead have been dealt with in remarkably varied ways in the past and it appears that, in the prehistoric period especially, only a small proportion of the population received a burial which has left traces detectable using current methods. Round barrows are distinctive burial monuments which can represent both individual burials as well as larger burial groups. They are one of the main sources of information about life in this period. The main period of round barrow construction occurred in the Early Bronze Age between about 2200-1500 BC (a period when cremation succeeded inhumation as the primary burial rite), although Neolithic examples are known from as early as 3000 BC. In general, they comprise a rounded earthen mound or stone cairn, the earthen examples usually having a surrounding ditch and occasionally an outer bank. They range greatly in size from just 5m in diameter to as much as 40m, with the mounds ranging from slight rises to as much as 4m in height. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods.

The bowl barrow approximately 710m south-west of Woolcombe Farm on the west side of Barrowland Lane lies close to the parish boundary between Toller Porcorum and Powerstock. It is considered to date from the Bronze Age period and is labelled as a ‘tumulus’ on the Ordnance Survey maps published in 1888 and 1902. It was first scheduled in 1958.

Details

PRINCIPAL ELEMENTS: the monument includes the earthwork and buried remains of a bowl barrow located on chalk uplands, on the lower eastern slope of Ison Hill.

DESCRIPTION: the barrow is clearly defined as a roughly oval-shaped, rather than circular, mound which is probably due to past cultivation. It measures approximately 11m by 8m and is some 0.7m high, with a shallow depression in the centre of the mound. The surrounding quarry ditch, from which material was excavated during the construction of the mound, is no longer visible at ground level, but it is likely to survive as a buried feature.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments England, , An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset volume 1, (1952), 185
Other
Dorset HER No.1 091 029 F

National Grid Reference: SY5475395044

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002809 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 10:12:57.

End of official listing