Bowl barrow 680m north west of Trewithick Farm


Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1003272

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1960

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Ordnance survey map of Bowl barrow 680m north west of Trewithick Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003272 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Mar-2019 at 06:24:16.


Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Stephens By Launceston Rural

National Grid Reference: SX2911285929

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite partial early excavation, the bowl barrow 680m north west of Trewithick Farm survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, longevity, territorial significance, social organisation, funerary and ritual practices and overall landscape context.


The monument includes a bowl barrow, situated at the summit of a prominent ridge, overlooking the valleys of the River Kensey and one of its tributaries. The barrow survives as a circular mound measuring 26.4m in diameter and 1.7m high. Its surrounding quarry ditch, from which material to construct the mound was derived, is preserved as a buried feature. There is a slight central excavation hollow.

It was referred to as 'White Borough' by Lysons in 1814, and in 1872 Polsue called it an 'ancient place of sepulchre '. According to Peter, early feast day sports were held in the area and surface finds of flints and stone implements have been made in the vicinity.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-436161


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: CO 579

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

End of official listing