List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Churchyard Cross
List entry Number: 1003823
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 01-May-1952
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: DV 271
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Churchyard cross 9m south-east of Ipplepen Church porch.
Reasons for Designation
A standing cross is a free standing upright structure, usually of stone, mostly erected during the medieval period (mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD). Standing crosses served a variety of functions. In churchyards they were stations for outdoor processions, particularly in the observance of Palm Sunday and as places for preaching, public proclamation and penance, as well as defining rights of sanctuary. After the Reformation, some crosses continued in use as foci for municipal or borough ceremonies, for example as places for official proclamations and announcements; some were the scenes of games or recreational activity. Once common, their survival since the Reformation has been variable, being much affected by local conditions, attitudes and religious sentiment. In particular, many cross-heads were destroyed by iconoclasts during the 16th and 17th centuries. Less than 2,000 medieval standing crosses, with or without cross-heads, are now thought to exist. The most common form is the stepped cross, in which the shaft is set in a socket stone and raised upon a flight of steps; this type of cross remained current from the 11th to 12th centuries until after the Reformation.
Standing crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval customs, both secular and religious, and to our knowledge of medieval parishes and settlement patterns. Despite restoration of the head and arms the churchyard cross at Ipplepen survives well and retains many of its original elements.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 5 November 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a churchyard cross to the south of the church porch in Ipplepen . The cross survives as a 15th century two stepped plinth, socket stone and shaft with a restored head and arms. The pedestal is square the lower step measuring 2.9m long and the upper 2m long. This supports a square socket stone 1m long by 0.5m high which is octagonal at the top. The shaft is square at the base, octagonal higher up and tapers slightly. It measures 1.4m high. The head and arms are a restoration.
Masson Phillips, E, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: part I, Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 69, (1937), p 321
National Grid Reference: SX 83420 66542
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003823 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 08:32:25.
End of official listing