Wood Barrow round barrow See also SOMERSET 168
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003838 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2019 at 14:15:51.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Devon (District Authority)
- West Somerset (District Authority)
- National Park:
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 71631 42506
Bowl barrow called Wood Barrow.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite some disturbance through early excavation Wood Barrow survives well and will contain important archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, use and landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 29 July 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a bowl barrow known as Wood Barrow situated on a prominent ridge overlooking the valleys of the River Barle and the Yarbury Combe. The barrow survives as a circular mound measuring up to 26m in diameter and 2.5m high. The surrounding quarry ditch from which material to construct the mound was derived survives as a buried feature up to 3m wide. There is a central excavation hollow. The name Wood Barrow may be derived from ‘Ward Barrow’ from where watch and ward were kept and it was probably used as a beacon. It was probably in use as a boundary marker as early as 1207. It is mentioned in The Survey of Exmoor Chase dated to 1651.
Other standing stones and barrows in the vicinity are not included in the scheduling because they have not been formally assessed.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- DV 238
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:-35361
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing