Cewydd's Stone, Six Acre Farm
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Cewydd's Stone, Six Acre Farm
List entry Number: 1003883
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: North Devon
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth
National Park: EXMOOR
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 10-Aug-1923
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: DV 41
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Early Christian memorial stone 20m south east of Sixacre Farm House.
Reasons for Designation
Early Christian memorial stones are inscribed freestanding stones commemorating named individuals and dating to the early medieval period (AD 400-1100). The stones are erect, roughly dressed or undressed slabs, bearing incised inscriptions, usually set in one or more vertical lines down one face. The texts are usually in Latin and may be inscribed in a script of Romanised capitals. Most inscriptions are simple, bearing a personal name and often stating a family relationship, such as `filii' (son of), to another personal name. Early Christian memorial stones are largely restricted to those areas that retained Celtic traditions during the early medieval period, thus in England they are almost entirely confined to the Southwest. They are important for our understanding of the social organisation and the development of literacy and Christianity during the early medieval period.
The inscribed stone known as Cewydd’s or Cavudus Stone, despite having been moved to its present location in 1913, is a rare surviving example of its type.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 21 October 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes an early Christian memorial stone known as Cewydd’s or Cavudus Stone, which is situated within the garden of the farmhouse at Sixacre Farm on the eastern side of the valley of an unnamed river leading to Lee Bay. The single stone slab measures up to 1.3m high. It is inscribed in Roman capitals ‘CAVVDI FILIUS CIVILI’. It has hanging holes for a gate at the top and bottom. It is a memorial stone dating to the fifth or sixth century. It was found nearby being used as a gatepost on the roadside between Lynton and Martinhoe and was placed in its present position in 1913.
PastScape Monument No:- 35156
National Grid Reference: SS 70063 48244
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003883 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2018 at 03:13:42.
End of official listing