Royal Military Canal, Appledore Bridge to Kenardington Bridge
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005124.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2021 at 02:08:37.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Ashford (District Authority)
- Ashford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 96820 30847
A 3.57km length of the Royal Military Canal from Appledore Bridge to Kenardington Bridge.
Reasons for Designation
The Royal Military Canal was a massive coastal defence work constructed between 1804 and 1809. Its purpose was to separate the expected landing and deployment of Napoleon's troops upon the coast of Romney Marsh and Walland Marsh from the interior of the country. The Government initially considered flooding the marsh but favoured the canal, which was the idea of Lt. Col. Brown, the Assistant Quartermaster-General. He carried out a survey and work commenced in 1804 at the height of the invasion scare, with John Rennie as consulting engineer (until 1805). The canal ran a total of about 28 miles from Shorncliffe Camp via Hythe inland to Appledore, to join the Eastern River Rother at Iden lock, from where it became part of first the Rother and then the River Brede, turning into a canal again from Winchelsea to Cliff End on the coast. Excavated earth formed the banquette and parapet on the landward side of the canal and behind this was an army supply route, the Royal Military Road. On the opposite side were the tow path and wharves. It also included a back and a front drain. The canal and parapets were so built that gun positions could be provided at the end of each length to flank the crossings. However by the time the canal was completed in 1809, the threat of invasion had passed, following Napoleon’s defeat at the Battle of Trafalgar, and it was to some extent obsolete. In 1810, the canal was opened for public use and tolls were also collected for use of the Royal Military Road. In the later 19th century public use declined. The last toll was collected at Iden Lock in December 1909. Today Iden lock is a sluice, so the main part of the canal is isolated. The eastern section of the canal is still in use for pleasure boats.
The Royal Military Canal was an important element in the Napoleonic defences of south-east England and is the only military canal in the country. It is a unique defensive work that bears significant testament to a period when modern Britain faced the most serious threat of invasion prior to the major conflicts of the 20th century.
The 3.57km length of the Royal Military Canal from Appledore Bridge to Kenardington Bridge survives well. It includes well preserved original features such as the Royal military road, the parapet, the front drain and the back drain. It will contain archaeological information relating to its construction and use.
The Second World War pillbox is also of archaeological and historic significance. Pillboxes are small reinforced concrete or brick buildings of a diversity of shapes and forms, designed to house either infantry, anti-tank guns or field artillery. Some World War I examples survive in eastern and southern England, but pillbox construction mainly dates from late May 1940 as part of the rapid programme of anti-invasion defences initiated after the fall of France. Design principles born from the practical experience of British troops in France, led to a shell-proof concrete construction whose loopholes or embrasures in each facet gave all round cover. During the Second World War, they were located alongside other defensive structures either at vulnerable or strategically important nodal points, along the coast, on the communications network, around vital installations such as airfields, or arranged in linear defensive systems called Stop Lines that were intended to obstruct the enemy's advance. This example on the Royal Military Canal is sited in a strategic position, with the canal serving as an obstruction to the enemy. It well illustrates the continued importance of anti-invasion defensive measures on this area of low-lying marshland near the Kent coastline during the 20th century.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 14 August 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a length of the Royal Military Canal, an early 19th century defensive work, situated on low-lying ground on Romney Marsh east of Appledore Heath. It runs a sinuous course from Appledore Bridge broadly north-east to Kenardington Bridge.
The length of canal is water-filled and the surviving features include the parapet; an earthwork bank on the west side, the Royal military road which survives as an earthen terrace, and the front and back drain, which survive as water-filled ditches in places. On the west side of the canal, about 330m north-east of a sewage farm, is a Second World War pillbox, which is included in the scheduling. It is a Type 22 reinforced concrete hexagonal structure on the bank of the canal. At the southern end of this length of canal is Appledore Bridge.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- KE 396 H
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
NMR LINEAR38, TQ 93 SE 19. PastScape 1042908, 1422605,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing