Woodbury Hill Camp
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1005330
Date first listed: 10-Aug-1923
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005330 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 13:26:53.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish: Great Witley
National Grid Reference: SO 74872 64563
Hillfort 550m east of Woodbury Hill Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Large univallate hillforts are defined as fortified enclosures of varying shape, ranging in size between 1ha and 10ha, located on hilltops and surrounded by a single boundary comprising earthworks of massive proportions. They date to the Iron Age period, most having been constructed and used between the fourth century BC and the first century AD, although evidence for earlier use is present at most sites. The size of the earthworks reflects the ability of certain social groups to mobilise the labour necessary for works on such a monumental scale, and their function may have had as much to do with display as defence. The ramparts are of massive proportions except in locations where steepness of slope precludes easy access. They can vary between 6m and 20m wide and may survive to a height of 6m. The ditches can measure between 6m and 13m wide and between 3m and 5m deep. Access to the interior is generally provided by one or two entrances which often take the form of long passages formed by inturned ramparts and originally closed by a gate located towards the inner end of the passageway. In view of the rarity of large univallate hillforts and their importance in understanding the organisation and regional structure of Iron Age society, all examples with surviving archaeological remains are believed to be of national importance. The hillfort on Woodbury Hill survives comparatively well with substantial earthworks and ditch. The site is a rare example of a multi entrance univallate hillfort. A re-occupation of the site by Owain Glyndwr in 1405 demonstrates the importance of this hillfort as a defensive site. The interior of the hillfort, ramparts and ditch will contain layers and deposits containing important archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, use and re-occupation.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 21 May 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records. As such they do not yet have the full descriptions of their modernised counterparts available. Please contact us if you would like further information.
This monument includes a large univallate hillfort located on Woodbury Hill between the River Terne to the west and the River Severn on the east. The monument survives as a hillfort with a single rampart and associated external quarry ditch. The rampart encloses an area measuring up to 600m long and 350m wide. At the north western end the ramparts are 6m high and at the south western end up to 9m above the bottom of the ditch. The monument has several entrances. The entrance at the south west has inturned ramparts.
Tradition states that the camp was occupied by Owain Glyndwr in 1405.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: WT 232
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
Pastscape Monument No:-114195
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing