List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Castle Tump
List entry Number: 1005505
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Malvern Hills
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 09-Feb-1959
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: WT 278
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Motte castle and fishponds known as Castle Tump 170m south of the church of St Gregory.
Reasons for Designation
Motte castles are medieval fortifications introduced into Britain by the Normans. They comprised a large conical mound of earth or rubble, the motte, surmounted by a palisade and a stone or timber tower. In a majority of examples an embanked enclosure containing additional buildings, the bailey, adjoined the motte. Motte castles and motte-and-bailey castles acted as garrison forts during offensive military operations, as strongholds, and, in many cases, as aristocratic residences and as centres of local or royal administration. Over 600 motte castles and motte-and-bailey castles are recorded nationally, with examples known from most regions. Some 100-150 examples do not have baileys and are classified as motte castles. As one of a restricted range of recognised early post-Conquest monuments, they are particularly important for the study of Norman Britain and the development of the feudal system. Although many were occupied for only a short period of time, motte castles continued to be built and occupied from the 11th to the 13th centuries, after which they were superseded by other types of castle. The motte castle known as Castle Tump is unusual for having a rampart and ditch around the motte and the monument survives well. The moated enclosure will provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains. The monument will contain buried layers, deposits and structures containing important archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the motte construction, use and landscape setting.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 20 May 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records. As such they do not yet have the full descriptions of their modernised counterparts available. Please contact us if you would like further information.
This monument includes a motte castle, a moated enclosure and fishponds known as Castle Tump situated between the Malvern Hills to the west and the River Severn on the east. The monument survives as a motte mound with rampart and associated quarry ditch, a moated enclosure and four fishponds. The motte mound covers an oval area of 56m by 36m and is up to 6m high with a 19m by 12m flat platform on the top. Surrounding the motte is an earthwork rampart and exterior ditch. The motte is situated in the south east corner of a sub rectangular moated enclosure measuring 100m by 90m. This enclosure is later in date as it clearly cuts the eastern edge of the motte. A spring runs down the enclosure from the east to four medieval fish ponds. The four fish ponds are rectangular and orientated north to south. The largest pond measures 50m by 16m. Medieval pottery has been found on this site.
Castle Tump was constructed in the 12th century by a member of the Folliott family. The castle was bought by Richard de Berkyng, Abbot of Westminster (1222–46), from the Folliott family.
Further archaeological remains survive within the vicinity of the monument, but are not currently protected because they have not been formally assessed.
Books and journals
Page, W, Willis-Bund, J W (editors), The Victoria History of the County of Worcester: Volume IV, (1924), 49-53
Pastscape Monument No:- 113476 & 113508
SMR:- 7100 (Hereford & Worcester)
National Grid Reference: SO 79434 37059
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005505 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 05:52:08.
End of official listing