Quarry canal bridge
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1006077
Date first listed: 03-Aug-1971
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006077 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 06:27:32.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Stafford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ 76401 21441
Single span canal bridge 60m south-east of Sutton Bank Farm.
Reasons for Designation
The principal age of canal building began in England in 1759 and played an important part in the growth and expansion of trade in many parts of the country, linking the river network and major ports. Canals also facilitated the relatively rapid movement of bulk agricultural produce from the countryside to the rapidly expanding industrial towns of the north and the midlands. Canal construction brought with it a whole range of associated structures. Many of these, such as bridges, canal workers' houses, warehouses, wet docks, dry docks, locks and water management systems involved the modification and development of the existing designs of such structures to meet the new requirements of the Canal Age, which also introduced the need for major technological innovation. The earlier canal bridges tended to be of brick or stone, depending on the local sources available and provided access for horse-drawn boats. They are usually single span due to the narrowness of the canals. During the later period cast iron bridges became more prominent. Normally a local builder was appointed by the engineer to construct a number of bridges creating local distinctiveness in bridge designs. The great age of canal construction lasted until about the 1840s, when their utility was eroded by the huge expansion of railways with their quick and cheap transportation of people and goods. During their relatively brief period of use, however, canals became the most important method of industrial transportation, making a major contribution to England's Industrial Revolution. Surviving remains of the early industrial waterways transport network and associated structures are particularly important both by virtue of their rarity and representivity.
The single span canal bridge 60m south east of Sutton Bank Farm survives in good condition as an accommodation bridge allowing access over the canal between two parcels of land. It is representative of this important period of waterway transportation network and associated structures.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 11 June 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a single span bridge spanning the Newport Branch of the Shropshire Union Canal. The bridge carries Sheeperley Lane over the Shrophire Union canal, which linked the canal systems of the Midlands to other parts of the country including the major rivers and ports. They were built by the engineer Thomas Telford and were completed by 1833. The monument was formally known as Shipley Lane Bridge.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: ST 224
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing