Abutment of Roman bridge at Radnor Bridge
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Abutment of Roman bridge at Radnor Bridge
List entry Number: 1006280
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: Unitary Authority
Parish: Acton Burnell
District Type: Unitary Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 07-Nov-1953
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: SA 152
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Roman road bridge abutments 580m south-east of Stockbatch Farm.
Reasons for Designation
The Roman road bridge abutments 580m south east of Stockbatch Farm are an extremely rare survival being one of fewer than ten known examples. Despite partial excavation the structures survive well and will contain further archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the construction, development, maintenance, longevity, technical achievements and overall landscape context of this important road and the engineering knowledge of its builders.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 17 June 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records. As such they do not yet have the full descriptions of their modernised counterparts available. Please contact us if you would like further information.
This monument includes the abutments of a Roman road bridge situated in the valley of and either side of a tributary to the Row Brook. The road bridge abutments were first discovered by a fisherman in 1951 and survive differentially as a standing abutment, retaining wall and surfaces to the south and as buried features, with some visible masonry to the north of the watercourse. The southern section was partially excavated in 1953 and produced several successive road surfaces of graded stone which measured up to 3m wide. The abutment was approached by a slight hollow way and was defined by a retaining wall of coursed sandstone with some tool marks and mortar which is up to 3.5m high. Marking the course of the Roman road known as Watling Street it is one of less than ten known Romano-British bridges in England. It is also known by the local name of ‘Radnals Bridge’.
Shropshire HER 00290
National Grid Reference: SJ 52503 02569
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006280 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2017 at 10:21:24.
End of official listing