Bell tower or clock tower
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1006566
Date first listed: 18-Jun-1946
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006566 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 12:21:47.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: NZ 19773 85951
Clock tower, Oldgate.
Reasons for Designation
The clock tower on Oldgate is a central landmark building in Morpeth and a well preserved example of a post-medieval clock tower with few later alterations. The lower portion of the tower is medieval and provides insight into the medieval history of the town. The structure of the monument will contain archaeological information relating to its construction and use and provides insight into the use of post-medieval municipal buildings.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 12 May 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a clock tower of 17th-18th century date, known as Clock House, situated on Oldgate, Morpeth. The tower is square in plan measuring roughly 5.6m by 5.6m and stands to three storeys and a height of approximately 16.4m. The walls are 0.93m thick at basement level. The tower is constructed from square stone blocks. On its east side there is a two-leaf boarded door in a Tudor-arched surround. The first floor has a round-arched recess, above which bears an inscription recording repairs in 1760. The clock is situated on the second floor and the bells on the third floor. The west side has outside stone steps leading to the first floor and the small cusped head of a 14th century window. The tower is topped by a parapet with moulded coping and with stone figures in 18th century dress, which stand on each corner The lower portion of the tower was constructed in the 14th-15th century. It was heightened to its current height in the 17th century. The clock is believed to have been bought from Bothal Castle and the bells were given in about 1705. The lowest floor was used as a prison until the early 19th century. The clock tower is a listed building Grade II*.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: ND 110
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 23223
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing