Reasons for Designation
Rounds are small embanked enclosures, one of a range of settlement types dating to between the later Iron Age and the early post-Roman period. Usually circular or oval, they have a single earth and rubble bank and an outer ditch, with one entrance breaking the circuit. Excavations have produced drystone supporting walls within the bank, paved or cobbled entrance ways, post built gate structures, and remains of timber, turf or stone built houses of oval or rectangular plan, often set around the inner edge of the enclosing bank. Other evidence includes hearths, drains, gullies, pits and rubbish middens. Evidence for industrial activities has been recovered from some sites, including small scale metal working and, among the domestic debris, items traded from distant sources. Some rounds are associated with secondary enclosures, either abutting the round as an annexe or forming an additional enclosure. Rounds are viewed primarily as agricultural settlements, the equivalents of farming hamlets. They were replaced by unenclosed settlement types by the 7th century AD. Over 750 rounds are recorded in the British Isles, occurring in areas bordering the Irish Seas, but confined in England to south west Devon and especially Cornwall, where many more examples may await discovery. Most recorded examples are sited on hillslopes and spurs. Rounds are important as one of the major sources of information on settlement and social organisation of the Iron Age and Roman periods in south west England. Despite the construction of buildings in the C20, the round 240m south east of Norways Farm survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, use, domestic arrangements, agricultural practices, trade, industry and overall landscape context.
The monument includes a round situated on a small coastal ridge at Carlidnack, overlooking two small river valleys leading to Maenporth. The round survives as a circular enclosure defined by a bank standing up to 4m high and a largely buried outer ditch up to 0.7m deep. The round was first described as a fort by Thomas in 1851and in the 1920's Henderson described it as the most perfect round in the district. At some time in the 1920's the first bungalow was built within the enclosed area. A stone spindle socket, stone axe and medieval pottery have been found inside, along with pottery dated to the 2nd century AD, charcoal, daub and iron slag recovered during a watching brief in 1976 prior to building works.
Within the enclosed area are modern buildings and surfaces which are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath these features is included.
PastScape Monument No:-426916