Bowl barrow on Round Hill, 80m east of The Port Way.
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1007345
Date first listed: 17-Oct-1930
Date of most recent amendment: 22-Sep-1993
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007345 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Mar-2019 at 01:36:17.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Church Stretton
National Grid Reference: SO 40978 92512
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Though small, the barrow has survived without serious disturbance and is a good example of this class of round barrow. It will contain archaeological deposits and environmental evidence relating to the landscape in which it was constructed. It is one of several such monuments on The Long Mynd and, as such, contributes to an understanding of the land-use and density of settlement of the area during the Bronze Age.
The monument includes the remains of a small bowl barrow situated on a rounded
prominence overlooking ground falling to the north-east. The barrow is visible
as a low stony mound 5.5m in diameter and up to 0.4m high. It is reported to
have a stone pavement surrounding the central mound giving an overall diameter
of 10m. Although no longer visible as a surface feature, a ditch, from
which material was quarried during the construction of the monument, surrounds
the mound and pavement. This has become infilled over the years but survives
as a buried feature some 1.5m wide.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 19103
Legacy System: RSM
Record no 01238,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing