This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Aldro earthworks: a bowl barrow and part of a linear boundary on Birdsall Wold, 200m north-east of Aldro Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Aldro earthworks: a bowl barrow and part of a linear boundary on Birdsall Wold, 200m north-east of Aldro Farm

List entry Number: 1007467

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Birdsall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 15-Jan-1931

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jan-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 20466

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Although the barrow has been partially altered by agricultural activity, it was comparatively well documented during a campaign of fieldwork in the 19th century and below-ground remains will survive. It will retain further evidence of the form of the barrow mound and the burials placed within it. The barrow lies close to a linear boundary earthwork and, although the boundary is no longer visible as a surface feature, the infilled ditch survives below-ground and the monument will retain archaeological evidence for the chronological relationship between the two features. The monument is one of a closely associated group of barrows which have further associations with broadly contemporary boundary earthworks in the vicinity of Birdsall Wold. Similar groups of monuments are also known from the southern edge of the North York Moors. Such associations between monuments offer important scope for the study of the division of land for social, ritual and agricultural purposes in different geographical areas during the prehistoric period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow and part of an adjacent prehistoric linear boundary situated on the crest of Birdsall Wold. It is one of a number of prehistoric monuments in the vicinity of Aldro Farm. Although altered over the years by agricultural activity, the position of the barrow is marked by a patch of chalky soil, 24m in diameter, which is the remains of material deposited to form the barrow mound. The barrow is one of eight bowl barrows which were recorded and partially excavated by J R Mortimer in 1874; in this case, a shallow grave and traces of a funerary pyre were discovered. There are no visible traces of the ditch which normally surrounds barrows of this type, although this will survive as a buried feature. Although altered by ploughing and no longer visible as a surface feature, the infilled ditch of the linear boundary is visible on aerial photographs and runs at a tangent to the modern estate road eastwards along the break of slope of the hill. Mortimer noted that the boundary comprised a double ditch but this is not confirmed by the photographic evidence, which shows a single ditch estimated to be 5m in width. Banks formed of the excavated soil will have flanked the ditch, although these are no longer visible as earthworks. That part of the ditch adjacent to the barrow is included in the scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 80984 63120

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007467 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 01:05:32.

End of official listing