Round barrow 210m east of Cleatham Hall Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007729.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 15:32:23.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 92487 01489
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite limited plough damage and partial excavation this barrow survives reasonably well and remains visible. It will retain significant information on its original form and the manner and duration of its usage.
The monument includes a Bronze Age round barrow. The barrow mound is 1.5m high
and 45m in diameter. Although no longer visible at ground level, a ditch, from
which material was excavated during the construction of the monument,
surrounds the barrow mound. This has become in-filled over the years but
survives as a buried feature 4m wide.
The barrow has twice been investigated by antiquarians. The first
investigation was carried out in 1867 when a trench was cut across the mound.
A layer of partially cremated bones was found and at the centre of the mound
two urns were found. A second excavation was carried out by a local clergyman
in 1911 when a layer of burnt earth was found.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Binnall, R G, (1911)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing