Round barrow 700m south of Low Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007850.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Feb-2020 at 18:36:48.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 96188 58036
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Although this barrow has been partially excavated and altered by agricultural activity it is still visible as a mound. Further evidence of the structure of the mound, the surounding ditch, and burials will survive. It will also contribute to an understanding of the wider group of which it is a member.
The monument includes a Bronze Age round barrow, part of a wider group in this
area of the Yorkshire Wolds. The barrow mound is 1m high and 40m in diameter.
It is surrounded by a visible soil mark 5m wide which indicates the presence
of a ditch from which material was excavated during the construction of the
monument. Although this has become in-filled over the years it survives as a
The barrow mound was opened in 1866 by J R Mortimer, the 19th century
antiquarian. During the course of the excavation a central grave 2m deep was
found. This contained the skeletons of two women accompanied by grave goods
which included a bronze pricker, jet necklaces, and a beaker pot. Three other
burials, one accompanied by a pot, and a quantity of cremated bones, were also
This is one of only two barrows identifiable as upstanding earthworks in this
area. Other barrows in the immediate vicinity, which are scheduled
separately, have been levelled and survive only beneath the modern plough
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Clarke, D L, The Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland, (1970), 507
Mortimer, J , Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 221-4
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 222-4
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing