Bowl barrow at Round Barrow House
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007898.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 05:17:18.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 95213 66217
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite partial excavation, the bowl barrow at Round Barrow House survives comparatively well and is known to have contained an unusually large number of burial remains. Environmental evidence as well as archaeological remains survive within the barrow relating to both the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed.
The monument includes a bowl barrow, with a mound 1.2m high and 22m across,
situated on the crest of a slight ridge of sands and gravels. Surrounding the
mound is a ditch from which material was quarried during the construction of
the monument. This is no longer visible at ground level, having become
infilled over the years, but survives as a buried feature c.3m wide. The
barrow was first discovered when the adjacent golf course was under
construction and was partially excavated in 1901. Twenty-five cremation
burials dating to the Late Bronze Age were found, all but two of which were in
pottery vessels. Although the barrow is very close to Round Barrow House, no
part of the house above or below ground is included in the area of the
Excluded from the scheduling are the stone edging, gravel path surfaces and
electric lights although the ground beneath all these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Gardner, E, 'Surrey Archaeological Collection' in Surrey Archaeological Collection, , Vol. 35, (1924)
Grinsell, L V, 'Surrey Archaeological Collections' in Surrey Barrows 1934-1987: A Reappraisal, , Vol. 79, (1987)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing