Round barrow 250m east of Wold Farm, Bishop Wilton Wold
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008320 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 14:12:43.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- Bishop Wilton
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 81272 55111
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
The monument survives reasonably well. Despite the 19th century excavation and the regular ploughing, it will retain significant archaeological information relating to the manner and duration of its usage.
The monument includes a Bronze Age round barrow situated on Bishop Wilton
Wold, one of a group of barrows on this area of the Wolds. The barrow mound is
a visible feature in the landscape, standing to a height of 1.3m, and
positioned on a natural rise. The mound has been ploughed and this has
resulted in its present ovoid shape. It measures 60m north-south, and 48m
east-west although originally it would have been fully circular. Although no
longer visible at ground level, a ditch, from which material was excavated
during the construction of the monument, surrounds the barrow mound. This has
become in-filled over the years but survives as a buried feature about 3m
wide. The mound was excavated by J R Mortimer in July 1871 when two
inhumations and three cremations were found along with worked flints and pot
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Clarke, D L, The Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland, (1970), 507
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 147-148
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing