Moated site in Paddock Wood 560m north-east of Chesterford Park

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1008558

Date first listed: 26-Feb-1993

Map

Ordnance survey map of Moated site in Paddock Wood 560m north-east of Chesterford Park
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008558 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 10:32:12.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Little Chesterford

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Saffron Walden

National Grid Reference: TL 53703 42952

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

As confirmed by partial excavation, the moated site in Paddock Wood is well preserved and will retain further archaeological information relating to the occupation and development of the site as well as environmental evidence pertaining to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a moated site situated in the south-west corner of Paddock Wood on a west-facing slope overlooking the River Cam, 560m north-east of Chesterford Park. It is defined by an irregular shaped moat and measures 68m east-west by 64m north-south. The arms are partly waterlogged and are 8m wide and 1.5m in depth. A central ditch 6m wide part bisects the island and is thought to be a later feature on the site. The Domesday Book indicates that the surrounding lands were within the manor of Manhall , but it is thought that until c1600 the manor house was located 2.75km south-west of the moat. In 1257 Richard, Earl of Gloucester, was granted a licence to build a castle on his land at Manhall. From 1970 to 1977 excavations were carried out by the Chesterford Park Archaeological Society in order to investigate the theory that the castle was built on this site. A crude stone wall was uncovered along with some metalwork finds including a knife blade with a silver damascene initial and pottery dating from the 13th or 14th centuries.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 20688

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Other
Smith, D W, Report to Archaeology Section of Essex County Council, (1976)
SMR No 4757, Information from SMR (No. 4757),

End of official listing