This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Two bowl barrows 180m south east of Haresdown Barn

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two bowl barrows 180m south east of Haresdown Barn

List entry Number: 1008796

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Rodmarton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 19-Jan-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 22897

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The two bowl barrows 180m south east of Haresdown Barn survive comparatively well and are known from partial excavations to contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes two bowl barrows orientated from north east to south west and situated on a ridge with panoramic views in an area of the Cotswold Hills. The western barrow has a mound composed of small stones; it has a maximum diameter of 15m and is c.0.25m high. This barrow is likely to have been partially excavated by J Akerman and J Chubb in 1856. A central burial containing charcoal, urn fragments, calcined human bones and a splinter of flint was identified. Later activity at the site is indicated by the presence of a damaged denarius of Alexander Severus (a Roman coin dating from AD 222-235). The eastern barrow was recorded by M Crook in 1925 and has a mound composed of small stones; this mound is 10m across and c.0.15m high. Both barrows are surrounded by ditches from which material was quarried during their construction. These have become infilled over the years, but survive as buried features c.2m wide.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
O`Neil, H E, Grinsell, L V, 'Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Arch Society' in Gloucestershire Barrows, , Vol. 179, (1959), 128
Other
Details of 1856 excavation,
Details of central burial,
Find of Roman coin,
Mention of observation by M Crooke,

National Grid Reference: ST 95485 97380

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008796 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 10:33:27.

End of official listing