This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site and fishponds south-west of Highfields Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site and fishponds south-west of Highfields Farm

List entry Number: 1009172

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: South Kilworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 25-Feb-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Jan-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 17037

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The monument at South Kilworth survives reasonably well and contains an extensive system of fishponds which will contain waterlogged deposits of organic material.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The site at South Kilworth lies south of the village on a stream which feeds Stanford Reservoir 0.5km to the south. It includes a moated site and three fishponds and is divided into two separate areas. The main element of the monument is the moat which is water-filled and measures approximately 60 x 50m overall, the moat being 7-8m wide and enclosing a sub-rectangular island. Fishponds adjoin the moat on two sides. Those on the south-east are water-filled and take the form of two ponds each measuring 65 x 30m. The pond on the north-west side does not retain standing water but it is waterlogged. It measures 50 x 70m at its longest dimensions and its north-west end is triangular in shape, narrowing to the point at which a feeder stream enters it. The pond is surrounded by an earthwork bank 1m high. Across the Rugby Road, 100m to the north-west is a further linear fishpond which measures 140 x 2Om. Originally this fishpond would have been linked by channels to the moated complex. The whole system is now fed by a stream which flows from the north-west immediately to the west of the site. It is probable that this stream originally fed the complex through a series of connecting channels and sluices. Documentary references show that the manor was held by the Belgrave family in the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1633 it was known as Well Close `where formerly stood the manor house'.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Nichols, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicestershire, (1811)
Nichols, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicestershire, (1804)

National Grid Reference: SP 60278 81697, SP 60410 81442

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009172 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 04:00:37.

End of official listing