Moated site at Ab Kettleby
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1010705
Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment: 04-Sep-1991
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010705 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2019 at 18:10:27.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Melton (District Authority)
Parish: Ab Kettleby
National Grid Reference: SK 72495 22859
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Ab Kettleby is a well preserved example of a farm or monastic site with possible proprietorial connections with Launde Abbey, an important 12th century Leicestershire priory.
The moated site at Ab Kettleby lies on the eastern side of the church, with
the village to the north, and open countryside to the south. The site
comprises a moat and an integrated fishpond.
The moated area defines a roughly square island with the eastern arm widening
by 40m to form a fishpond. The south side of the moat is defined by a
straight bank, cut through in two places. The bank is 1m high from the outer
ground surface and the inner ditch is 2m deep. To the west the outer bank is
defined by the edge of the churchyard. The northern arm has been infilled,
but survives as a low earthwork of about 0.5m in height.
It is not known for certain whether the Ab Kettleby moat was a grange or
monastic site. Documentary sources of the 18th century refer to an abbey,
while other records suggest it was a grange belonging to Launde Abbey.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 17020
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Nichols, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicestershire, (1804), 15
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing