Moated site at Ingarsby
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010839 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 17:02:26.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Harborough (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 68149 04886
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moat at Ingarsby is of unusual circular shape. It survives in good condition and has considerable potential for the preservation of archaeological remains within the raised interior of the island.
The monument at Ingarsby known as `Monk's Grave' is a moated site and is
situated on high ground 1km north of the village of Houghton-on-the-Hill.
The moated site is sub-circular in shape and approximately 50m in diameter
with a surrounding ditch 8-12m wide and up to 2m deep. The moat island forms
a raised platform about 1m above ground level. The moat is currently dry and
contains a spring on the eastern side. On the north-eastern side there is an
outer bank 4m wide and 1.5m high which terminates 5m from a field boundary,
and indicates the position of an entrance.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hoskins, W G, 'Transactions of the Leicestershire Arch & Historical Society' in Seven Deserted Village Sites in Leicestershire (Volume 32), , Vol. 32, (1956), 46-7
Jarvis, P, 'Transactions of the Leicestershire Arch and Historical Society' in A Sherd of Iron Age or Roman Pottery from Hungarton, , Vol. 59, (1985), 91
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing