This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Beaulieu Hall moated site.

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Beaulieu Hall moated site.

List entry Number: 1011025

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hemington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 03-Oct-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jan-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13618

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Beaulieu Hall is an impressively large moated site with a diversity of well defined archaeological features and potential for preservation of environmental evidence in waterlogged deposits. The site is well documented and is likely to preserve the remains of both the medieval manor house and the post-medieval hall built by the Montagu family. Earthworks of ornamental garden features associated with the buildings are unusually well preserved.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This monument consists of a moated site which includes the remains of Beaulieu Hall and gardens. This is a large moated site, roughly trapezoidal in shape, which covers an area of 3.3 ha. The site was originally completely surrounded by a moat ditch which survives on the north, south and west sides of the site. The moat ditch is flat bottomed and up to 12m wide and 1.5m deep. Two water channels originally ran south from the north arm and in the south east of the site are the remains of several small fishponds, one of which is still waterfilled. The moat island is considered to have been occupied by a manor house in the medieval period when the site belonged to Ramsey Abbey. The Montagu family acquired the Manor in 1540, and remains of Beaulieu Hall, built by them in the late 16th century, stand within the moat island. The Hall is a Grade II listed building, and remains of foundations of 16th century and earlier buildings have also been found to the south of the present house. To the west of the present building three small rectangular platforms surrounded by ditches show the position of ornamental gardens associated with the later manor house and a deep double ditch in the south of the site is also considered to be a garden feature. The house and outbuildings on the site are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments of England, , Archaeological Sites in North East Northamptonshire, (1979), 52-3

National Grid Reference: TL 09500 85197

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2018 at 03:48:39.

End of official listing