This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Two moated sites and fishponds, and an associated area of ridge and furrow, west and north west of Court Farm House

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two moated sites and fishponds, and an associated area of ridge and furrow, west and north west of Court Farm House

List entry Number: 1011196


The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fulbrook

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 29-Aug-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 11-May-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 21543

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The monument survives well and remains largely unencumbered by modern development. It represents a good example of two moated sites constructed within close proximity to each other with valuable documentary information concerning their layout. Evidence for the design and function of the manor house which occupied the southern moated island and for structures which occupied the northern moated island will survive beneath the ground surface. Additionally organic material will be preserved within the waterfilled moat ditches of the southern moated site. The site retains well preserved remains of an extensive fishpond system, and the whole complex is set within units of ridge and furrow, the development of which will inform discussion of the date and character of occupation of the various parts of the site.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument is situated to the west and north west of Court Farm House and includes two moated sites, a fishpond complex and an area of ridge and furrow cultivation. The two moated sites are aligned north-south with fishponds to the west and are located within an extensive area of ridge and furrow cultivation. The northern moated site has external dimensions of approximately 75m square. The dry moat is up to 20m wide and is 3m deep. External banks are visible on the northern and western edges of the moat. The banks measure approximately 10m wide and are 0.4m high. There was originally an external bank at the eastern edge of the moated site, however, it has been removed and the area to the east of the moated site is, therefore, not included in the scheduling. The moated island measures 30m square and has internal enclosure banks on all sides. It is raised above the surrounding ground surface. There are slight undulations in the interior, indicating the existence of buried features beneath the ground surface, and a central depression. There is no visible evidence for the original access onto the island. The inlet channel for the moat is visible at the north west corner of the moated site. It is now dry and has a slight retaining bank along its southern edge. A slight linear depression at the north east corner of the moated site is considered to be the remains of the outlet channel. Approximately 20m to the south is a second moated site. It has external dimensions of 73m east-west and up to 62m north-south. In c.1838 the eastern arm of the moat ditch was infilled. It remains visible as a shallow depression and is partly overlaid by Court Farm House. The western, northern and southern arms of the moat are waterfilled and are 15m wide. The moated island measures 45m east-west and up to 31m north-south. The surface of the island is level, except at the south eastern corner, where there is a raised rectangular area which represents the base for a Victorian greenhouse, the remains, of which, are excluded from the scheduling. There is no surface evidence for the original access onto the island. The inlet channel for the moat is partly visible as a shallow depression, entering at the north western corner. The southern moated site is considered to be the site of a moated manor house which is mentioned in documents of 1324 and 1392. In the latter year, the moated island was said to contain a hall with a solar and an adjoining chapel, as well as a byre and kitchen under one roof. Beyond the moat there was a gatehouse with a chamber above and a stable beneath which is thought to indicate that the site originally included an outer court to the east. The remains of the gatehouse are thought to have been partly incorporated within the present Court Farm House which is not included in the scheduling. By 1392 the moated manor site was in disrepair. The two moated sites are so different in character that they are considered to represent occupation of two different periods rather than a contemporary manor house and a second occupied enclosure. The earthwork remains of a small fishpond complex survive to the west of the northern moated site. The two ponds, the supply channel and their inter-connecting leats are now dry. The larger pond measures approximately 45m east-west and 25m north-south. Water was originally supplied to the ponds by a drainage channel which leads from the inlet channel at the north west corner of the northern moated site. The inlet channels for both moated sites originally led from a parallel drainage channel to the west. The channel is now dry. Its northern section has been destroyed by ploughing but it remains visible to the west of the southern moated site. A 110m length of the surviving drainage channel is included in the scheduling. To the west, north and south of both moated sites are the earthwork remains of ridge and furrow cultivation. The ridge and furrow to the north is aligned north-south and the external bank of the northern moated site defines the southern limit of this area of cultivation, whilst the drainage ditch, originally to the west of both moated sites, defines the western boundary of the ridge and furrow in the southern part of the site. The drainage channel forms the boundary between two blocks of ridge and furrow. The headland of the block to the west of it runs parallel to the dry channel and is included in the scheduling. The ridge and furrow to the east of the drainage channel is aligned north-south and extends as far south as the stream channel and as far east as Fulbrook Lane. The ridge and furrow between the drainage channel and the western edge of the southern moated site and a 10m wide sample area to the south of the moated site are included in the scheduling. The ridge and furrow respects the features of both moated sites and preserves a direct stratigraphic relationship, both between the two moated sites and between them and the land-use in the surrounding area. The agricultural buildings at the western edge of the southern moated site, the foundations of the Victorian greenhouse on the southern moated island, all modern walling, the surfaces of the pathways and all fence posts are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath all these features, is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Styles, P, The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire, (1945), 92
'Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society' in Deserted Medieval Villages in Warwickshire, , Vol. 86, (1974), 101
Warwickshire Sites and Monuments Record, (1988)

National Grid Reference: SP 25177 60734


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011196 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 03:20:35.

End of official listing