Stanley Hall moated site

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1011476

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1993

Map

Ordnance survey map of Stanley Hall moated site
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011476 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 04:42:44.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Pebmarsh

National Grid Reference: TL 83640 32734

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Stanley Hall is well preserved and will retain archaeological information pertaining to its occupation. The water-filled ditches will also retain environmental evidence relating to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument at Stanley Hall includes a triangular moated site situated on a slight north-facing slope, 1.75km south-west of Pebmarsh church. The moat arms each measure about 40m long and 10m wide. The south-eastern angle of the island appears to have been separated at one time by an intermediate ditch, but this has been infilled leaving only the stub ends visible. A wooden footbridge gives access to the island across the northern part of the western arm. Two other bridges allow access to the island. Both are modern constructions of concrete, brick and wood. One is situated on the northern angle and the other on the western arm. The island is occupied by a late 16th century house which is a Grade II Listed Building. The site was called Stanlegh in 1282, a name which means 'stone clearing'. The house, outbuildings, bridges and paths, which all occupy the island at present, are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 20731

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935)

End of official listing