This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Acklam Wold barrow group: a bowl barrow 220m north-west of Acklam Wold House

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Acklam Wold barrow group: a bowl barrow 220m north-west of Acklam Wold House

List entry Number: 1011543

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Acklam

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Leavening

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 29-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Oct-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 20549

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Although this barrow has been partially altered by agricultural activity, it is still clearly visible and was also comparatively well-documented during campaigns of fieldwork in the 19th century. Further evidence of the structure of the mound, the surrounding ditch and the burials will survive. The monument is one of a closely associated group of barrows which have further associations with broadly contemporary boundary earthworks in the vicinity of Acklam Wold. Similar groups of monuments are also known from other parts of the Wolds and from the southern edge of the North York Moors. Such associations between monuments offer important scope for the study of the division of land for social, ritual and agricultural purposes in different geographical areas during the prehistoric period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow which is one of a number of barrows situated on the crest of Acklam Wold. Although altered by agricultural activity, the barrow is still visible as a mound 1.5m high and 40m in diameter. A ditch 22m in diameter surrounds the barrow and, although the ditch has become buried by the gradual spreading of the mound material, it has been identified on aerial photographs. The barrow was recorded and partially excavated in 1849 by W Proctor of the York Antiquarian Club and in 1878 by J R Mortimer; two adult burials in a 1m deep pit were found by Mortimer who also observed that the mound was built on top of a natural clay outcrop which was slightly higher than the surrounding chalk.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 89-90
Other
Stoertz, K, (1992)

National Grid Reference: SE 79634 62319

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 11:09:50.

End of official listing