Acklam Wold barrow group: a bowl barrow 150m south-west of Acklam Wold House

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1011571

Date first listed: 13-Aug-1993

Map

Ordnance survey map of Acklam Wold barrow group: a bowl barrow 150m south-west of Acklam Wold House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011571 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 19:42:37.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Acklam

National Grid Reference: SE 79726 62078

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Although this barrow has been partially altered by agricultural activity, it is still visible as a slight earthwork and was also comparatively well- documented during campaigns of fieldwork in the 19th century. Further evidence of the structure of the mound, the surrounding ditch and the burials will survive. The monument is one of a closely associated group of barrows which have further associations with broadly contemporary boundary earthworks in the vicinity of Acklam Wold. Similar groups of monuments are also known from other parts of the Wolds and from the southern edge of the North York Moors. Such associations between monuments offer important scope for the study of the division of land for social, ritual and agricultural purposes in different geographical areas during the prehistoric period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow which is one of a number of barrows situated on the crest of Acklam Wold. Although altered by agricultural activity and reportedly used to bury cattle carcasses in the 19th century, the barrow is still visible as a slight mound, comprising darker less-chalky soil, up to 25m in diameter. A ditch, from which material used to construct the barrow was originally quarried, surrounds the mound, although it has become infilled over the years and is no longer visible at ground level; its width is estimated to be 3m. The barrow was recorded and partially excavated in 1849 by W Proctor of the York Antiquarian Club and in 1877 by J R Mortimer, although no burials were discovered.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 20553

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 86

End of official listing