This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Stone hut circle 685m SE of Trewalla Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Stone hut circle 685m SE of Trewalla Farm

List entry Number: 1011907

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Cleer

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 01-Dec-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 15165

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bodmin Moor, the largest of the Cornish granite uplands, has long been recognised to have exceptional preservation of archaeological remains. The Moor has been the subject of detailed archaeological survey and is one of the best recorded upland landscapes in England. The extensive relict landscapes of prehistoric, medieval and post-medieval date provide direct evidence for human exploitation of the Moor from the earliest prehistoric period onwards. The well-preserved and often visible relationship between settlement sites, field systems, ceremonial and funerary monuments as well as later industrial remains provides significant insights into successive changes in the pattern of land use through time. Stone hut circles were the dwelling places of prehistoric farmers on the Moor, mostly dating from the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). The stone-based round houses survive as low walls or banks enclosing a circular floor area; remains of a turf or thatch roof are not preserved. The huts occur singly or in small or large groups and may occur in the open or be enclosed by a bank of earth and stone. Although they are common on the Moor, their longevity of use and their relationship with other monument types provides important information on the diversity of social organisation and farming practices among prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

This hut circle on southern Craddock Moor has survived well and displays clear details of its construction. Its proximity to other broadly contemporary settlement and funerary sites and to a medieval field system demonstrates well the nature of land use during the Prehistoric period and its subsequent development.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a stone hut circle, situated near other broadly contemporary hut circles and cairns and amid an area of medieval cultivation ridges on the western slope of the southern spur of Craddock Moor on SE Bodmin Moor. The hut circle survives with a turf-covered wall of heaped rubble, up to 1m wide and 0.5m high, around a circular interior area, 3.5m in diameter, levelled into the hillslope. The wall has small inner facing slabs, up to 0.5m high, which form a contiguous row along the northern sector of the wall. A break in the SW part of the wall, 0.5m wide, flanked by an outer facing slab at each side, marks the site of the hut circle entrance. An earth-and-rubble bank, up to 0.5m high and 2m wide, touches the northern edge of the hut circle as it passes in its course WNW-ESE. Immediately NE of the hut circle, at the periphery of the monument, is an original break in the bank, the eastern terminal of which is angled slightly to the north. In its visible form the bank was constructed as a subdivision of the medieval cultivation ridges on this hillside. However the presence of the break adjacent to the hut circle and the consistent relationship between this and the other parallel banks with the Prehistoric hut circles indicates that the banks were a re-use of surviving remnants of a Prehistoric field system.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
Consulted 1/1992, Carter, A/RCHME, 1:2500 AP transcription for SX 2570,
consulted 1/1992, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1443,
consulted 1/1992, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1443.02,
consulted 1/1992, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1444,
consulted 1/1992, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1446,
Consulted 7/1991, Carter, A./RCHME, 1:2500 AP transcriptions for SX 2470 & SX 2471,
p.268; SX27SE 1444 Craddock Moor, Cornwall Archaeological Unit, Bodmin Moor Cornwall. An evaluation for the MPP, (1990)

National Grid Reference: SX 25234 70698

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011907 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 09:43:08.

End of official listing