Moated enclosure and associated building platforms, The Lane, Wyboston.
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1012076
Date first listed: 06-Jun-1979
Date of most recent amendment: 26-Jun-1991
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012076 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2019 at 03:45:37.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Bedford (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Wyboston, Chawston and Colesden
National Grid Reference: TL 16084 56730
Reasons for Designation
Around 6000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often, or seasonally, water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings or, in some cases, which were used for horticulture. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in the central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England, and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important in understanding the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains. Both the moated enclosure and the adjacent building platforms survive in very good condition. The archaeological significance of this monument is increased by the direct association of these remains.
The monument includes the medieval moated enclosure and an adjacent series
of building platforms. The moated enclosure is `D' shaped in plan and
measures some 85m along the straight southern edge of the moat. The
surrounding moat is 8m wide and about 1.2m deep and is dry except for part
of the east arm. Prominent external banks, surviving up to 1m high, flank the
west and east sides. The island is believed to be the site of a manor house
and a number of deep hollows mark the position of former buildings. A square
platform outside the north-east corner of the moat forms part of an original
entrance to the moated enclosure. To the east a number of rectangular
platforms mark the site of at least five buildings associated with the
medieval moat. Some of the platforms survive up to 0.3m in height while
others are defined by wall lines and hollows partly obscured by vegetation.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 11531
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Goddard, A R, The Victoria History of the County of Bedfordshire, (1904), 305-6
Aldsworth, F G, Ordnance Survey Record, (1968)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing